The Office of Equity and Engagement, in partnership with Harriet Speaks LLC, is hosting this program that runs from March 2021 through July 2021 and consists of an in-depth fellowship for a group of diverse Grand Rapids residents and a series of community conversations open to the general public.
Community Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship
Community Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship provides an opportunity for up to 35 Grand Rapids residents to have an in-depth diversity and inclusion learning experience through weekly self-reflection activities, focused readings, videos, discussions and group meetings to process learning and exchange perspectives. The learning is designed for those what seek foundational understanding and skill building on the following diversity, equity and inclusion topics:
- bridging our differences and how to have crucial conversations;
- othering and belonging;
- personal narratives on race and ethnicity;
- implicit bias, microaggressions and stereotypes; and
- institutional racism;
Virtual Information Sessions
Those interested in the fellowship program are encouraged to attend one of the four virtual information sessions being held in February. If you are a Grand Rapids resident and interested in learning more, please register below directly with Harriet Speaks LLC for the information session that works best for you.
Tuesday, February 16, 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm (Closed)
Friday, February 19, 9:00 am - 10:00 am (Closed)
Saturday, February 20, 10:00 am - 11:00 am (Closed)
Wednesday, February 24, 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
The application window for the fellowship program runs February 21 to March 7. The link to the application will be shared on this webpage starting February 21. Notification of participation will happen no later than March 12.
The Community Diversity & Inclusion Fellowship group meetings will be the following Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. and will take place virtually using Zoom:
- March 18, 2021
- April 22, 2021
- May 20, 2021
- June 24, 2021
- July 15, 2021
Basic Fellowship eligibility includes that applicants:
- Live within the city of Grand Rapids at the time of application.
- Are available for all group meetings listed above. 100% attendance is expected and required.
- Have or will have wifi/internet access and a computer with a video camera for the full cohort experience. We will try to help with equipment and or internet if needed but cannot guarantee it.
- Are at least 18 years of age.
Community Diversity & Inclusion Conversation Series
Community Diversity & Inclusion Conversation Series is designed for the general public and provides an opportunity for the larger Grand Rapids community to participate in the program through monthly panel conversations live streamed from the City’s Office of Equity and Engagement Facebook page. The monthly sessions are at 6 p.m. on the following Mondays:
- March 22, 2021 – Topic: bridging our differences and how to have crucial conversations;
- April 26, 2021 – Topic: othering and belonging;
- May 24, 2021 – Topic: Personal Narratives on Race and Ethnicity
- June 28, 2021 – Topic: Implicit bias, Microaggressions, and Stereotypes
- July 26, 2021 – Topic: institutional racism;
Optional reading and video resources on that month’s topic will be available in advance of the panel discussion on this page starting March 1. During the public conversations, the public can ask questions and share comments.