Public Works Department




We aim to make sure the City's environment is healthy. To do this, we use the latest cutting edge technology for waste, recycling, and street management. We are also committed to making the City of Grand Rapids one of the most sustainable cities in the U.S.

See below for a list of services we provide and other information.

Need to pay for your waste? You can make a payment online through grpayit. We also have other payment options.

Waste Payment Options, Fees, and Details
Our Pay-As-You-Throw refuse service allows you to manage costs. You deposit money into a pre-paid account, maintain a positive balance, and you will only be charged when you place your refuse  cart out for collection.

Waste Payment Options, Fees, and Details

*Note: Your refuse cart will not be emptied if you have a $0 balance on your account and curbside recycling is free to our residents.

Check your balance

You can find your account balance, tip history and recycle cart history in your grpayit account. Want to sign up? Click here.

Don't have a grpayit account? Give us a call at 311 or 616-456-3000. We'll give you your account information.

Trash and Recycling

The Waste Services we provide:

Recycling - A free service with two cart sizes to choose from. The more you recycle the less you pay for waste removal service.

  • 64 gallon cart - ideal for a small to medium size family.
  • 96 gallon cart - works for a large family that may not recycle.

Check out the 2019 Recycling Pick-Up Schedule(PDF, 317KB).

Trash/Refuse - A pay per collection service. We offer three different cart sizes (options below). You only pay when you use the cart. Keep in mind a smaller cart will work if you recycle often. You'll also want to keep a positive account balance.

If the cart you use for trash service is left at the curb it may be tipped and charged, regardless of the account balance.

  • 32 gallon cart - great for a single person. 3.05 per use. 
  • 64 gallon cart - ideal for a small to medium size family. $5.10 per use
  • 96 gallon cart - works for a large family that may not recycle $7.15 per use

Request Trash or Recycling Services

Do you need someone to take care of your trash removal? The City service will take care of all your trash, recycle and yard waste needs.

Click below for a step by step guide on setting up your trash/refuse, recycling, or yard waste services.

Request Services

Looking Up Trash and Recycling Pickup Dates

Need to know when your trash and recycling carts are picked up? You can use My Neighborhood to look up your next collection dates. Just type in your address!

Go to My Neighborhood

Recycling Calendar
Would you like a calendar of the Recycling Schedule for this year? Click below.

2019 Recycling Schedule(PDF, 317KB)

Holiday Delays for Trash and Recycling

We delay trash and recycling collection in observance of some holidays. Service is always delayed by one day on applicable holidays

 Holiday Delays for Trash and Recycling

As a Grand Rapids resident, you can earn points based on how much you recycle. If you didn't know, recycling is free! Not a resident? Everyone can earn points by volunteering. 

Use the points you earn to redeem rewards at local businesses or contribute them as donations for a community campaign goal.

About myGRcitypoints

Yard Waste Collection

Your yard waste collection is the same day as your regular waste collection. Yard waste is collected curbside from early April until the second Friday in December.  We offer several options for curbside collection.  

Yard Waste Cart – The cart is $27.50 to order. This is a service fee and is non-refundable. You can Request Yard Services here online. Be sure to have enough funds in your refuse account to cover the service fee.

To enroll and pay by mail, use this form: Yard-Waste-Cart-Program-Enrollment-Form.pdf(PDF, 194KB)   Each time you would like your cart emptied, attach a yellow Yard Waste Tag to the cart. Each tag is $6.00.

Yard Waste Paper Bag – You can use a yard waste paper bag for leaves, grass clippings and small twigs. Bags are $2.50 each or come in packs of 5 for $12.50. Items in the yard waste paper bag can't weigh more than 30 pounds.

Yard Waste Bulk Tag – You can use a purple yard waste bulk tag for bundles of larger twigs or branches. You may also attach this tag to a non-city paper yard waste bag.  These tags cost $2.50 each. Bundled branches and twigs shouldn’t be more than 4 feet long or 2 inches in diameter.

You can buy City yard waste cart tags, paper bags, and purple bulk tags at City Hall. You can also buy them at select supermarkets.For a complete list of sellers near you, click here(PDF, 373KB).

Yard Waste Materials

Yard Waste includes:

  • Grass clippings
  • Leaves
  • Brush
  • Twigs (less than two inches in diameter)
  • Garden Plants

Yard Waste does not include:

  • Sod
  • Dirt
  • Stones
  • Broken concrete
  • Trees
  • Tree limbs
  • Logs
  • Railroad Tires
  • Stumps
  • Animal feces and dead animals


Request Yard Waste Services

Do you have yards waste needs? Click below to request yard waste services:

Request Yard Services

Drop-Off Site

The City of Grand Rapids offers a drop-off site for residential yard waste. You can drop-off leaves, brush, and tree branches at 2001 Butterworth SW, April through the second Saturday in December. The site is open Monday through Saturday, 9 AM - 6 PM. This is offered to Grand Rapids residents only, so bring ID for proof of residence. Yard waste must be loose or in a paper bag. Plastic bags are not allowed.

Not sure if your yard waste is eligible for drop off? Call 311 or 616-456-3000 to make sure.

Do you have a trash item that needs to be picked up for collection but it can't fit in your trash can? We can help you.

Bulk Items Collection

Bulk items with a city sticker will be collected within 3 business days of your refuse collection day. Be sure to put your item(s) out on your collection day before 7:00 a.m.

City Bulk and Appliance Stickers

You'll need to either purchase a City Appliance or City Bulk sticker for collection. City Appliance stickers are $25. City Bulk stickers are $20. You can purchase bulk items stickers at our Customer Service storefront located on the "M" level of  City Hall. You can also purchase stickers at select supermarkets and some neighborhood stores.

For a list of stores that sell bulk item stickers near you, click here(PDF, 373KB).

Bulk Items Stickers Types


A City Appliance Sticker is to be used when disposing the following items:

  • Washers
  • Dryers
  • Water heaters
  • Dishwashers
  • Refrigerators*
  • Freezers*
  • Microwave ovens
  • Air conditioners
  • Humidifiers/ dehumidifiers
  • Garbage disposals
  • Trash compactors 
  • Furnaces

* Refrigerator and freezer doors must be removed for collection


A City Bulk Sticker is to be used when disposing of the following items:


  • Bedframes 
  • Buffets
  • Couches
  • Dressers
  • Hutches
  • Loveseats
  • Recliners
  • Stereo Cabinets
  • Wall Units

Household Items

  • Bathtubs
  • Boxsprings
  • Garage Doors
  • Glass or Wood doors
  • Mattresses
  • Sinks
  • Sliding Doors
  • Televisions
  • Window Awnings 

Do you have hazardous waste material you're trying to dispose? Kent County Department of Public Works has created the following programs to guide you through the process of hazardous waste disposal:

SafeChem -  This program will teach you how to safely dispose of left-over chemicals.

SafeMeds - This program provides residents with safe and convenient access to proper medicine disposal.

SafeSharps - This programs gives Kent County residents an option for safe disposal of used needles.



Report a Pothole

Have you spotted a pothole in Grand Rapids? You can report the pothole online or by using our new app grcity311.

Report a Pothole

Emergency Street Repairs
Street Maintenance responds 24 hours daily to all types of street repair needs. We respond to hazardous situations such as:

  • Dangerous potholes
  • Debris blocking streets or alleys or creeks
  • Missing or damaged guard rails

If you see any of these situations, call 311 or 616-456-3000.

Winter Parking
Seasonal parking restrictions allows us to sweep and plow the streets during the fall and winter months. It also helps us prevent the City's street from becoming flooded in the winter due to clogged catch basins.

Want to see the info for which streets in the City are affected? Click the link below.

Odd/Even and One-Side Parking Map

Odd/even parking

The odd-even parking ordinance is used by the City to create enough space City service vehicles to access a street during the fall and winter months. This allows for street sweepers to sweep up leaves and plows to service the street during snow events and create a lane for driving. Although the City attempts to clear the streets in sync with the parking regulations, the plows may not service both sides of the street during a snow event. The snow plows do attempt to widen streets and clean up in between snow events, weather permitting. This is a seasonal parking rule that takes place Nov.1 to April 1.

To avoid a $20 parking ticket that may be given whether snow is present or not, please park on the even-numbered side of the street on even-numbered days and on the odd-numbered side of the street on odd-numbered days from 1 a.m. to 6 p.m. From 6 p.m. to 1 a.m. the next day, parking is permitted on both sides of the street unless there are signs otherwise restricting parking. Before you go to bed, think ahead!

Same Side Parking - Winter Restrictions

With collaboration from the City’s Traffic Safety, Fire and Public Services departments, some odd-even parking has been eliminated on certain streets November 1 to April 1. The parking has been modified to one-sided parking. Some streets now have no parking at all. This change allows street sweepers, emergency vehicles and snow plows to more easily navigate neighborhoods streets. Signs identify these one-sided parking streets. The City recognizes that one-sided parking makes it more difficult for residents to clear the snow on the side of the street where parking is allowed. The City does its best to work with residents to assist with snow removal if it becomes necessary. 

Winter Preparedness Brief 
Our "Winter Preparedness Brief" contains information prepared by City departments and 311 Customer Service Agents. This information include the follow:

  • Snow Plowing
  • Snow Shoveling
  • Shoveling Out Refuse and Recycling Carts

Winter Preparedness Brief

The City Commission and staff take the position that graffiti has a negative effect on the quality of life within Grand Rapids. Quick removal is key to controlling and stopping the spread of more graffiti.

If you see graffiti in progress or know the identity of a graffiti suspect, please call the Grand Rapids Police Department at 616- 456-3400 or call Silent Observer at 616-774-2345.

Reporting Graffiti

If you see graffiti on City-owned public property, you can report it in a couple ways:

Want report graffiti on public property? Click here.
Want to report graffiti on a City street sign? Click here.
Do you have graffiti on your private property? Fill out and mail us this Graffiti-Release-Form.pdf(PDF, 83KB). You'll be giving the City permission to go onto your property to paint and/or power wash the graffiti.

Have an issue you'll like to report? You can request City services right from your mobile phone. grcity 311 is the new official app for reporting issues across the City. It's available in app stores now.

Download on iPhone  Download on AndroidReport It Online

For a list of what you can report on and through the app, click here

Need to start new water Service at a home, apartment or a business?   

Start Water Service

Need to pay a City service related payment or fee? 


Want to learn more about your City Commission? 

Elected Officials

Want to attend City Commission Meetings?

City Commission Meetings