Through targeted change, accountability, restorative justice, empowerment and engagement, OPA will help create and improve just outcomes and respectful relationships between public safety and community.
The Office of Oversight and Public Accountability (OPA) was created in August 2019. City Manager Mark Washington developed OPA to serve as the liaison between public safety and our Grand Rapids community.
The City's Strategic Plan highlights the importance of:
- Enhancing trust
- Ensuring the legitimacy of the police department
- Ensuring the safety of every resident, business and visitor
The Plan commits to ensuring that “all people feel safe and are safe at all times throughout our community.”
The City recognizes that trust in our public safety officials is an important factor in reaching that goal. Civilian Oversight of public safety is an important tool that helps to:
- Protect civil rights
- Support effective policing
- Build bridges between public safety and community
- Increase confidence in police
- Manage risks
- Ensure greater accountability
OPA works to create mutual trust and respect between our public safety departments and the community we serve.
Learn more about the work we do below.