Are you a Grand Rapids resident planning a project to help reestablish community and relationships? You may be eligible for funding through the Neighborhood Match Fund (NMF).
Now in the time of physical distancing, we will award contracts ranging from $2,000 to $10,000 that focus on COVID-19 resident resiliency and recovery and projects that increase the overall quality of life in neighborhoods.
How to Apply
Learn how to apply with our step-by-step application guide.
English Guide(PDF, 695KB) Spanish Guide(PDF, 593KB)
We're accepting project idea applications June 1 - June 30.
Who Can Apply?
- Grand Rapids residents
- Informal resident groups (e.g. block clubs) in Grand Rapids
- Community-based organizations located in and serving Grand Rapids
You can only have one active NMF contract at a time. All reports and paperwork are due before you can apply for a new NMF contract.
The Grand Rapids resident leading the project and submitting the project idea. This individual must be from the community that the project impacts. They're the main contact with NMF staff. They're responsible for completing the project and submitting the closing report.
An individual, informal group or nonprofit organization proposing the project. The applicant may also be the project lead/contract.
An individual or nonprofit organization located in Grand Rapids. The fiduciary helps with financial bookkeeping and reporting. The NMF check is written and sent to the fiduciary. Applying as a non-profit? The Contractor is generally also the fiduciary.
A fiduciary is the project finance manager that:
• Manages the dollars
• Makes sure expenses align to the project
• Confirms the minimum match contributions were made
• Documents and reports back on how the NMF dollars were used
We write and send the check to the fiduciary. The fiduciary tracks NMF contract expenses and match contributions. We'll ask you to report on these in the NMF Closing Report form.
What You Have to Do
- Take place in Grand Rapids city limits
- Align with the NMF purpose and objectives
- Abide by City ordinances and policies
What You Can't Do
You can't use NMF fund for any of the following:
- Anything that financially benefits City of Grand Rapids staff, City Commissioners or Appointed/Elected Officials
- Staff salary/wage expenses
- Lobbying efforts
- Buying alcohol
- Increasing the cost to the City for the maintenance of the project or for any other reason
- Events and programs that charge admission to participate
The amount we award depends on the amount requested, project scope, alignment with NMF objectives and NMF balance. If awarded, you must spend the NMF dollars during the six-month contract period. You will also be required to match the amount awarded. This means for every dollar we award, you must match that amount with any combination of:
- Volunteer labor (valued at $28.54/hour)
- In-kind goods and services
- Cash donations
For example, an NMF contract for $500 could be matched with:
- $100 worth of volunteer labor
- $300 of in-kind/donated materials (e.g. food, supplies)
- $100 cash donation from a local business or from a grant
Featured Project: The Black Book Exchange Box
The Black Book Exchange Box built book houses designed by local artists that contain books that represent and identify as Black. Book houses are placed throughout the City that reflects both the community and the need for access to Black and Brown Culture. The book exchange system plans to expand into the Latino community with the launch of a Latinidad edition of book houses.
(PDF, 45KB) (PDF, 62KB)
Past Projects by Year: