We use a third party application called Citizen Access for our Temporary Use Permit for private property event permit applications. If you've never used Citizen Access, we recommend that you review how to create an account before starting your application.
You’ll need to submit this application at least 10 business days before the event.
This application will take about 30 minutes once you've gathered the required information identified in the steps below. You can save your application and resume later if you need more time.
Before you get started, consider these possible requirements:
- Electrical Permit - Will your event need the use a portable generator or temporary drop service, etc. for electricity? An electrical contractor must apply for this permit
- Mechanical Permit - Will your event need propane, liquid, or other fuel for cooking or heating? A licensed mechanical contractor must apply for this permit
- Office of Special Events - Will your event take place on city property or a public street? Call OSE at (616) 456-3378 to get that process started
- Grand Rapids Police Department - Will your event have alcohol for sale or with an admission fee? Call GRPD at (616) 456-4800 at least 30 days before the event
- City Clerk's Office - Will your event have valet parking or will you be selling food, non-alcoholic beverages, or merchandise? Call the Clerk's Office at (616) 456-3010 at least 14 days before the event
- Fire Department - Will your event have fireworks sales or a pyrotechnic display? You will need to apply for a permit/license for this. Call the Fire Department at (616) 456-3115 at least 30 days before the event
Gather the following information before you apply for the permit:
- If you’re not the property owner, get their permission to complete this application. You can submit a permission letter signed by the owner with this application
- Draw any temporary signs, including dimensions
- Get flame resistance certificate(s) for any tents or canopies used in the event. The tent rental company can provide the certificate
- Get plans/specifications for stages, bleachers or other temporary structures used for the event. The rental company can provide these
You'll need to upload a PDF of your site plan with your application.
The plan needs to be to scale and include:
- lot lines and dimensions
- streets and sidewalks
- driveways and parking lots
- existing buildings
- tents, canopies, stages and seating/gathering areas
- temporary structures
- crowd control areas
- vending areas
- alcohol consumption areas
- event entrances/exits
- any other relevant information
Expect to hear from us within 1-2 business days. We'll email you to confirm receipt of your application. Keep in mind that you might need to revise your application or attachments if we notice any missing or incorrect information.
When your application is approved, we'll notify you of the fee amount. You'll be able to login to Citizen Access and pay with your credit/debit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover for online payments.
We'll send you your permit by email.