We only issue 200 licenses for one-room rentals per year. Make sure to get your application in as early as you can. You should know that you will not be able to claim 100% Principal Residence Exemption while renting out space in your home.
To get a Home Occupation Class B License for a one-room rental, make sure you have a valid driver's license and don't owe money to the City. We're unable to issue you a business license if you don't meet these requirements.
UNSURE IF YOU OWE?
- Check if you owe court fees, property taxes or parking tickets. Call the Treasurer's Office at 616-456-3020
- Check if you owe taxes to the City. Call the Income Tax Department at 616-456-3415
The Zoning Department will not approve accessory structures. All rooms must be within the main dwelling unit. You'll need to make sure the property is properly zoned. Call the Zoning Department at 616-456-4100 to check the property zoning. Check before submitting your application to avoid long delays in processing your license.
- No more than 2 adult guests can rent the space for use overnight
- The dwelling must be your principal residence
- You must be in residence while renting the space
- You must be sole owner, joint tenant, or joint tenant by the entireties of the real estate
We conduct a fire inspection of your property every 3 years.
We'll conduct the inspection when you apply for your license for the first time. Each time you submit your renewal application we'll check to see if you're due for another inspection. We'll contact you to set that up if you're due.
Here's a look at what you'll need to complete your application:
- A floor plan of the entire home with the room to be rented clearly indicated
- A letter of approval from authorized Condominium Association (if applicable)
Have questions? Give us a call at the number listed in the Contact Us section of this page. There are many things that you need to do to apply for the license. We also have resources to help you prepare your application:
There is a $449 application fee for new licenses. The renewal fee is $139.
All application fees are non-refundable. Here's a look at our accepted payment methods:
IN PERSON PAYMENTS
- Money order
- Credit or debit cards (Visa, Discover, or MasterCard)
Make sure you have the appropriate payment ready. Refer to step 3 for accepted payment methods.
The Fire Department will contact you to schedule an inspection.
It takes us 5-10 business days to process applications. Keep in mind that it may take longer to process your application if we find that you need to make changes. We'll call or email you to let you know your license is ready. You can either pick it up from the office or we'll mail it to you.
The license must be displayed openly on the property where all customers can see.
We use a standard licensing year of July 1 through June 30 for all businesses. Your license will expire on June 30 regardless of when you apply. The fees are also the same no matter when you apply during the year. So make sure to plan accordingly.
You can renew your Home Occupation License for two years after your first issuance. Then you will need to re-apply and pay the first-issuance fee.