City of Grand Rapids Social Media Policy
City of Grand Rapids social media pages are regulated by the Office of Communications and maintained by various departments and offices. We welcome your comments. We actively monitor our pages and try to respond to every person. While we encourage debate and discussion, we request commenters stay respectful and on topic. A comment may be deleted if it violates our comment policy described below.
- Comments not related to the business or work of this department/office or to the particular social media article being commented upon may be deleted.
- Multiple or repetitive posts that are copied and pasted may be deleted.
- Obscene, violent, profane, sexual or harassing language is not allowed. Links to sites containing obscene, violent, profane, sexual or harassing content are not allowed.
- Statements that are defamatory, libelous or knowingly false with reckless disregard for the truth are not allowed.
- Copyrighted material posted without permission or content that violates the legal ownership interests of another party is not allowed.
- Commercial advertisement or solicitation is not allowed.
- Comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity are not allowed.
- Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems is not allowed.
- Personal information such as identification numbers, phone numbers or email addresses should not be posted and may be removed.
- We strictly prohibit discriminatory messages. We will delete hateful speech of any kind toward any group, including age, gender, race, religion, nationality, sexual orientation or disability.
- Do not report emergencies or ask for assistance on this page. Call 911.
By posting on this page, you agree to follow these terms. The City of Grand Rapids is not responsible for and neither endorses nor opposes comments placed on this site by visitors to this site. Commenters are personally responsible for their own comments, username and any information they post to this page. We may remove content that does not follow the above guidelines.
Also, keep in mind that our social media channels are internet pages that are owned and operated by social media companies. All of these companies have their own policies and standards regarding what may or may not be posted and the actions they may take with regard to unauthorized posts.