Road construction season begins in GR
Published on May 04, 2023
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – Several major upcoming roadway projects will impact residents and visitors to Grand Rapids and surrounding communities. The City’s Mobile GR Department alerts motorists, cyclists and pedestrians of many road and lane closures and detours over the next few weeks.
To ensure the safety of road workers and road users - always slowdown in construction zones, follow all posted signs, and be alert. Work zone safety is everyone's responsibility.
Here is a sampling of major projects, detours and expected dates of impact.
Fuller Ave NE – full closure and detour
- Cedar St NE to Maybelle St NE
- Monday, May 8 to Friday, May 12
- Utility work for Corewell development at Cedar intersection
- NB and SB detour use Bradford, Ball, and Leonard
Plainfield Ave NE construction and NB detour
- Marywood Dr NE to Ellsmere St NE
- Monday, May 8 to Friday, June 30
- Maintain SB and detour NB from May to June
- Flip, maintain NB and detour SB from July to August
- Detours use 3 Mile, Monroe, and Knapp
Godfrey Ave SW closure in City of Wyoming
- Utility work just south of Liberty St SW intersection
- Monday, May 8 to Monday, May 22
- Full closure and detour for Wyoming utility work
- Detours use Chicago, Chavez, and Hall
Plainfield Ave NE watermain project/road resurfacing
- Monday, May 8 to Wednesday, May 31
- Full closure and detour of Plainfield north of Leonard
- Detours use Leonard, Lafayette, and Quimby
Northbound US 131 lane restrictions
- Michigan Department of Transportation is inspecting NB US 131 bridge structures
- Friday night, May 5 to Sunday afternoon, May 7
- Northbound lane restrictions
- Maintain southbound but possible delay for northbound
- Close NB on ramps at both Wealthy and Pearl interchanges
For a list of Grand Rapids City road projects, visit grandrapidsmi.gov/roadconstruction. For MDOT projects, visit MiDrive at Michigan.gov/MiDrive.