Bike Share Goals
Our Steering Committee helped us identify the goals of bike share in Grand Rapids. The goals are:
- Be financially sustainable
- Minimize the need to rely on the City’s general fund for ongoing system operations
- Be accessible for all residents, regardless of race, ethnicity, income, age or ability in its pricing, payment structure, station locations, education and outreach efforts, and partnerships with local organizations
- Improve the reach and utility of public transportation
- Increase access to key destinations in the City
- Enhance both residents’ and visitors’ experiences getting around Grand Rapids
- Foster “park once” behaviors to help improve available parking supply
- Enable increased physical activity and benefit public health
Our steering committee made recommendations on how we should operate Bike Share. The most important recommendation was to move forward with bike share.
Recommendations included who would own the system and who would operate it. They also set the Phase 1 Service Area. Review the map and more details on the recommendations in the Want to Learn More section of this page.
For pricing, the steering committee recommended the following:
Single Ride Access
Users would pay $3 for first 60 minutes and $3 for every 30 minute block thereafter.
Users would pay $20 for unlimited trips up to 60 minutes in length per month. After 60 minutes if bike is not docked, $2 for every 30 minute block thereafter.
Students would pay $50 per semester (~4 months) for unlimited 60 minute rides in length. After 60 minutes if bike is not docked, $2 for every 30 minute block thereafter.
Residents with a valid nine-digit state benefits number would pay $5 per month. This would provide unlimited rides up to 60 minutes. After 60 minutes if bike is not docked, $2 for every 30 minute block thereafter.
Purchase a package of minutes, much like a reloadable Smart Phone data plan, that pass holders could use in blocks of their choosing.