Oversized Load FAQ


Here are some of the frequently asked questions we receive about Oversized Loads.
If you have any more questions, please contact a Customer Service agent at 311.

What does the Oversized Load Permit include? 

The permit gives you permission to operate an oversized vehicle on a City of Grand Rapids roadway. The permit is not valid on State of County Roads.
  • The Traffic Safety Departments reviews the application for height concerns associated with Street Lighting and Traffic Signals. It's your responsibility to coordinate with utility companies on cables or other overhead items along the route.
  • Other permits may be required.

What other support can the Traffic Safety Department provide in association with Oversized Loads?

The Traffic Safety Department can provide help with:
  • Street Lighting cables and structures
  • Traffic Signal clearance relocation
  • Temporary Traffic Control

These are provided at a cost.

Does the City of Grand Rapids have Spring Weight Restrictions?

The City of Grand Rapids follows the Kent County Road Commission Spring Weight Restrictions.

What are the fees associated with the application?

The application is free to process.