Residential Parking Permit Program

Every year, Mobile GR assesses parking demand and availability in residential neighborhoods and business districts. In qualifying areas with heavy parking demand, we propose Residential Parking Permit (RPP) Zones. Our RPP Program puts resident parking first.

RPP Zones prioritize parking spots for residents within the area. To park within an RPP Zone, you must be a resident or a guest of a resident and must have a Residential Parking Permit. Vehicles parked within an RPP zone without a permit will be subject to parking enforcement. Residents within RPP Zones can apply for a permit for a small permit fee.

If you are not currently within an RPP Zone, your neighborhood might qualify for establishing a new RPP Zone in the future.

Current RPP Zones

Neighbors of Belknap Lookout Zone

  • Hastings St NE (Fairview Ave NE to Lafayette Ave NE)
  • Trowbridge St NE (Fairview Ave NE to Lafayette Ave NE)
  • Fairview Ave NE (Hastings St NE to Fairbanks St NE)
  • Livingston Ave NE (Hastings St NE to Fairbanks St NE)
  • Coit Ave NE (Hastings St NE to Fairbanks St NE)
  • Clancy Ave NE (Hastings St NE to Newberry St NE)
  • Fairbanks St NE (Fairview Ave NE to Lafayette Ave NE)

View NOBL Expansion Map

Other Zones

  • Alabama Avenue (just north of Bridge St NW to 2nd St NW) 
  • Lake Drive (Diamond Place and extending 120’ to the West)

Apply for a Permit

To get a permit, you need to submit an application with required attachments. When you apply, have the following information available:

  • Proof of identity (e.g. State-issued ID, Passport, Consular Identification, Military ID card, Student ID card, etc.)
  • Proof that you live or have business in one of the Current RPP Zones (e.g. utility bill addressed to resident within RPP Zone, property tax statement, mortgage, lease)
  • Your vehicle's license plate number and a copy of your vehicle registration* (non-driver residential permits are exempt)

*If you use a vehicle that is registered to someone else, attach a letter notarized by the owner. Be sure the letter includes your name and relationship to the owner. Also include the vehicle type and model and that you have exclusive use of it.

Apply Online Now

Apply for a Non-Resident Day Pass

Are you a non-resident, looking for a short term parking pass for a RPP zone? 

Apply Online Now

Permit Enrollment Period

  • May and November are the open enrollment periods for the program.
  • Permits cost $30 if purchased during the May or November open enrollment periods.
  • Any permit purchased outside of open enrollment will use a prorated payment structure.

Fee Waivers

Residential permit fees can be waived for six months if you are receiving any of the following needs-based assistance:

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
  • Subsidized housing vouchers
  • Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
  • Women and Infant Children (WIC)
  • Family Independence Program (FIP)
  • Unemployment Benefits

When applying for a caregiver permit you must present one of the following:

  • Doctor's note showing need for an in-home caregiver
  • Disability ID card or Supplemental Security Income statement

Additional Information on RPP Zones


Proactive Parking Survey and Analysis

We conduct a citywide count in residential areas every year during September and October. We also conduct a citywide count in commercial areas every spring and fall. During this time we count vehicles on streets at different times and days of the week. Based on the data we gather and the program guidelines, we may recommend new RPP zones or modifications to existing zones.

Neighborhood Communication

You will know that we are proposing a zone because we will send out a mailer to residents and property owners within 300' of a zone. You will have an opportunity to make comments and listen in on discussion at Mobile GR Commission meetings. If a recommended zone is advanced to the GR City Commission, you will be able to participate in a public hearing before the City Commission votes to approve a potential zone (see below for more information). We will also capture your feedback in other ways, such as surveys and collecting public comment via email and 311 calls. Whenever available, we will work with the area neighborhood association to communicate RPP proposals.

Mobile GR and City Commission

The new zone would need approval from the City Commission. The Mobile GR Commission is an advisory body to the City Commission. They help City Commission review items related to parking and transportation. All residents and businesses within three hundred (300) feet will be notified of the time and date of the Mobile GR Commission meeting where the zone affecting them will be discussed. Mobile GR Commissioners will review the parking survey results, staff recommendations for zones and any public comment. They will then vote on whether or not to advance recommendations to the City Commission.  

If a zone is advanced to the City Commission, a public hearing will be scheduled to give the community an additional opportunity to voice their opinion on a new zone. All residents and businesses within three hundred (300) feet will be notified of the time and date of the public hearing. City Commission will consider the parking survey results, staff and Mobile GR Commission recommendations for zones and any public comment. Ultimately the City Commission decides to approve or deny new RPP Zones.


If City Commission approves a new zone, we'll coordinate the implementation and communication of the program to affected neighbors.

Rules and Regulations

For more details on the RPP Program, take a look at the Rules and Regulations(PDF, 323KB)

Residential Permit ($30 / year)*

You can get a permit if you're a resident, renter, or owner within an RPP Zone.

Guest Permit ($2 / 24 hours)

Current residential parking permit holders can apply for guest passes. Each permit holder is limited to 30 guest passes per 6 months. You can purchase guest permits in advance.

Caregiver Permit (Free / 6 months)**

The holder of a residential parking permit may apply for a caregiver permit. Must be able to prove a special need for the caregiver permit.

Short Term Permit ($5 / 24 hours)

Short term permits may be obtained by non-residents and are valid for 24 hours.

Non-Driver Residential Permit ($30 / year)*

Non-driver residential permits require proof of residency and proof of identity.


Where You Can Park

Your permit is valid on any street within the zone. All standard parking rules and signage continue to apply.

Enforcement Times

We enforce the RPP program during permit parking hours. The time can vary by RPP Zone.

Standard Parking Rules

Look for any parking related signage and follow its directions, for example: parking meters, no parking signs or loading zone signs. We don't want you to get a ticket.

To ensure your safety and that of others, make sure to park:

  • 3 feet from a driveway
  • 15 feet from fire hydrants
  • 15 feet from or within intersections
  • 20 feet from marked crosswalks
  • 20 feet from railroad tracks
  • 30 feet from a flashing signal, stop sign or traffic signals