In accordance with Administrative Order 2020-14, effective May 6, 2020, the State Court Administrative Office has directed the court that it must return to a Phase I Reopen Plan pursuant to a revised SCAO Return to Full Capacity Guide in response to a COVID surge in the State of Michigan.
Chief Judge Michael Distel of the 61st District Court –Grand Rapids, with the approval of the State Court Administrative Office, has entered a revised Phase I Plan effective November 23, 2020.
1. The court shall be closed for all courthouse activities to the public except those listed beginning November 23, 2020 except for the following essential operations until December 31, 2020:
- Criminal matters involving incarcerated defendants, including trials and sentencings.
- Video arraignments
- Walk-in arraignments for felonies
- Preliminary examinations
- Specialty Courts sanction only cases
- Other emergency proceedings as necessary
- Those who do not have the ability to connect remotely
2. Other Civil proceedings and Criminal proceedings will be conducted virtually to the maximum extent possible, consistent with Administrative Order No. 2020-6.
3. Walk-In hearings will only be held on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons and Thursday mornings.
4. Off-site visits with probationers and clients will not resume.
5. Pursuant to MCR 8.110(C), members of the public or staff who refuse to wear required face coverings or adhere to social distancing requirements may be asked to leave the court facility.
6. Any member of the public who is asked to leave the court facility must be offered an opportunity to conduct court business virtually, attend court proceedings virtually, file documents in an alternative manner, or confer with court administration to determine alternate arrangements for accessing the court.
7. Wedding ceremonies are not being performed at this time.
1. Those individuals that are not a defendant, plaintiff, witness, victim or attorney should refrain from attending these essential operation proceedings.
2. Court payments may be made utilizing online-payments during this crisis. Payments can be made at www.grcourt.org. or by calling 855.292.8925. Payments can also be mailed in to District Court Clerk’s Office, Suite 1400, 180 Ottawa NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
3. Access to court records can be made utilizing the Record Search function at www.grcourt.org.
4. Court window services will be closed except for payment and collections and check-in for felony arraignments. All new cases regarding Landlord Tenant (LT), General Civil (GC), and Small Claims (SC) will only be accepted in the mail or they may be deposited in the Civil Drop box located outside the entrance to Suite 1400, which is located by Hearing Room 1A toward the back of the 1st floor of the Courthouse.